The Cost Accountant is responsible for providing timely and accurate project cost and profitability reports to the project management and senior leadership team. Project cost reports will be prepared and distributed based on product groups, region and by project manager. Analyze and report on material project revenue and cost variances to budget and ensure project costs are accurately and timely recorded against the correct project. Assist in the forecasting and budget process of the organization.
- Monitor, track and report on project financial performance monthly, quarterly and annually. Generate and distribute monthly project P&L’s by product group, region and project manager including preparing project variance analysis against budget. Identify reasons for low margin projects i.e. revenue, labor cost, freight cost etc.
- Maintain and analyze project and construction in progress charges to their proper ledgers.
- Reconcile project costs to the general ledger and income statement. Ensure all project costs are being captured.
- Collaborate with the accounting and operation teams to ensure project revenue and costs are properly recorded to the correct project. Prepare journal entries as required to ensure project costs are properly accounted for.
- Periodically analyze project budget cost assumptions and recommend updates as required.
- Set up and maintain projects in the Sage job cost system including inputting project budgets.
- Close out project accounts upon project completion.
- Work with project managers to ensure budgets are prepared for projects on a timely basis and any budget changes are properly documented.
- Participate in the weekly operational project review meeting.
- Identify common trends/cost issues seen across projects, communicate the trends/issues and work with the appropriate staff to address.
- Perform other ad-hoc reporting and analysis as requested
- High degree of business acumen
- Ability to apply sound logic towards problem solving situations and possess strong analytical skills
- Acts to raise issues to proper level.
- Holds self and others accountable for procedures and results
- Effective communicator both verbal and written
- Ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 20 pounds
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 2 -5 years accounting experience in a project accounting role preferably in the events, distribution, construction or related industries.
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational skills.
- Detail and deadline orientated.
- Professional manner.
- Experience with Sage 300 Accounting Software or similar accounting application.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Floating Holiday
- Paid Holidays
- Short Term Disability